Monday, March 26, 2012

Meatless Monday: Acorn Squash Casserole

Recipe du Jour


Yes, it’s a short post today. Here’s the story…

Some weeks ago I had some native acorn squash I needed to use before it went to waste. I searched online for recipes, but didn’t find anything that fit my mood or the ingredients on hand. With what I’d found as inspiration, I came up with my own recipe for Acorn Squash Casserole. It was good, very good.

I sent it to Joey, my contact at Meatless Monday. She liked it, and asked for a photo. Can you believe I had neglected to photograph my dish? So, I went to the market, bought some more squash (from Mexico, alas) and made it again. The verdict was still 4 thumbs up!

Here’s the photo. [Thanks, Don.]



The extra effort paid off. Today my Acorn Squash Casserole is one of Meatless Monday’s featured recipes. Go to the Meatless Monday site for today, March 26, to find the recipe. All the ingredients and cooking instructions are there, as well as the nutritional information.  

I hope you will give my recipe a try. It’s a good source of protein and fiber and pretty low in carbs. It’s easy to make, the active cooking time is really short, and you can use it as a main course or as a side. 

While you’re there, take some time to check out the rest of the site. See who else has joined the movement. You will find I’m in good company. 

Happy Monday. Have a great week. And stop by again soon.

I often blog on food or food issues on Monday in support of Meatless Monday, one of several programs developed in the Healthy Monday project, founded in 2003 in association with Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Syracuse University’s Newhouse School of Communications. Meatless Monday’s goal is “to help reduce meat consumption 15% in order to improve personal health and the health of our planet.”

2 comments:

  1. I have never liked squash unless it was cooked with lots of butter and brown sugar, i.e. so it didn't taste at all like squash. But this looks & sounds yummy, so, when I shop tomorrow I'm going to pick up whatever ingredients I'm lacking. I'll report back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it. This recipe is better for you than all that butter and brown sugar. If you like it, please go back to the MM site and rate it. Thanks.

      Delete