Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Short Subjects: Sambucol Saves the Day


Merçi K for introducing me to Sambucol®. Vive the virologist who developed this elixir, and the French company which manufacturers it for the Australian PharmaCare Laboratories.

Sambucol®’s main ingredient is black elderberries, which have been used for centuries to help cure a variety of ailments including flu, cold, and colic. The only other additives are glucose, purified water, citric acid, and potassium sorbate (to retard spoilage). Sambucol® was first developed in 1991 and has since become a popular way to get a daily dose of antioxidants. A mainstream healthcare provider in the Boston area prescribed it to K’s niece, who was diagnosed with the flu, “to help shorten the virus' siege & blunt its symptoms.”  K happened to email me with the tip for my blog (not knowing I was under the weather) and now I’m a believer. 


For some three weeks now I have been laid low by an upper respiratory tract infection which has been sweeping through Connecticut (along with the flu, but I’ve had my shot for that). Normally I am charged up in January, eager to start all kinds of new endeavors. I was desperate and ready to try anything. I found Sambucol® Original Formula Liquid at the Elm City Market and immediately started using it according to the Intensive Use directions (2 teaspoons, 4 times daily). The elixir is the consistency of prune juice but tastes better. The good effects were almost immediate. Purely psychological? Perhaps. But that would not explain the relapses on day one each time the 6 hours were almost up. At any rate, I have been using Sambucol® for the last three days and have been otherwise drug free. I am not totally out of the woods yet, but this is the best I’ve felt in weeks.

Do I know if the elderberries were sustainably harvested or organically grown? No. Do I care right now? No. I am on the road to recovery and that’s what matters to me right now. Sambucol®' s properties have been assessed in a variety of clinical trials. Here is a link to an abstract summarizing studies in Israel which confirmed Sambucol’s effectiveness in shortening the duration of the flu by 3-4 days.   

Sambucol is not inexpensive, but it is cheaper than many other remedies. And, since it is basically an elixir of elderberries, there are no side effects or warnings. It is sold in many stores, including many large chains. If you decide to use it on a daily basis for immune system support, you might want to purchase it online. One good source is iHerb which is my go-to place for vitamins, supplements, and xylitol chewing gum. If you decide to shop there, you can use this link to receive $10 off your first order of $40 or more ($5 off a smaller order).

Stay well. Enjoy the rest of what for many of you is a long weekend.

Come back on Monday for more on the elderberry and its many powers and uses.


Why Saturday Short Subjects? Some readers may recall  being dropped at the movie theater for the Saturday matinee — two action-packed feature films with a series of short subjects (cartoons or short movies, sometimes a serial cliffhanger) sandwiched in between. Often the short subjects were the most memorable, and enjoyable, part of the morning. That explains the name. The reason behind these particular posts is that we are all short on time. My Short Subject posts should not take me as long to write or you as long to read (or try).



No comments:

Post a Comment