Friday, March 4, 2011

Freebie Friday 3.4.11

Worthy Things to Do, Listen To, or View that Won’t Cost You a Dime 

TGIF once again. Welcome to another edition of Freebie Friday. There are just three tips this week, but I hope there is something for everyone.
  • Do you get too much mail? This may seem a strange question to those of you who know I make a good chunk of my living designing printed matter. But I am not talking about the good stuff — the magazine you still like to read in the bathtub, the birthday cards from your mom, or the Exploring Maui brochure you requested online. I’m talking about the junk mail offers for charge cards, oil changes, life insurance, fast food… The good people of BAYROC, the Bay Area  Recycling Coalition, have prepared a junk mail kit which explains clearly and succinctly how to opt out of direct mail and catalogs you do not wish to receive. BAYROC's slogan for the campaign is: "It's good to recycle your junk mail. It's even better to stop getting it.” You can download the kit for free even if you don’t live near San Francisco. The instructions are the same whatever your state of residence. Thanks BAYROC!
  • My apologies for sending you to IHOP for National Pancake Day. My short stack was delicious, but seemed a tad salty. Now I know why. I wish I had downloaded this pdf of nutritional data for IHOP menu items before I told you about the Pancake Day freebie. It’s a real eye-opener. Although many charities benefitted that day, the health of IHOP patrons did not. My three cakes alone contained 490 calories, 18 grams of saturated fat (1 gram of which was the dreaded trans fat), and 1610 milligrams of sodium! [I added two scrambled eggs with catsup to my order on National Pancake Day and confess I have not calculated my exact totals.] Current dietary recommendations call for a daily limit of 20 grams of saturated fat and 2,300 milligrams of sodium (for a typical adult consuming 2,000 calories).
  • Finally, something fun. Are you bored with Sudoku? Check out KenKen. These puzzles were devised in Japan in 2004 by Tetsuya Miyamuto as a way to teach kids math. I first tried these entertaining puzzles when the New York Times introduced them in 2008. The rules are simple and clearly explained on the KenKen site. If you are at all confused, check out the tutorial. With seven levels of puzzles, you will be challenged indefinitely (at least I will be).  You can play online or request free puzzles via email if you prefer to use pencil and paper.
TGIF. Come back again soon. I’m working on my long overdue blog updates…

FYI Why a piñata? Just like a blog link, until you open it, you won’t know what’s inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment